Wednesday, August 08, 2007

756....Finally

Way to go Mr. Bonds, you now own one of sports most storied records. Because of your accomplishments I would now like to tell you what else comes with it. First off, a country full of baseball fans who hate you (except San francisco). Second, a tainted career in which these so called records you hold will always be questioned (That goes for you too Mr. McGwire and Mr. Sosa). Third, the commissioner of the sport you love to play doing everything in his power to prove that you took steroids. What else is in your bag of goodies you ask? How about the fact that most people still consider Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth to be greater home run hitters than you? No one thought Hank was on roids.....No one said "Hey Ruth...are you eating anabolic hot dogs and drinking performance enhancing beer?" So congratulations Barry, enjoy your reign at the top of the home run chain. I hope you enjoy all of the perks that come with it.

When I think about baseball records and which one means the most to me there are 2 that always come to mind. First, Cal Ripken Jr.'s streak of games played in a row. He broke Lou Gherig's record when he played in his 2,131 consecutive game and eventually went on to play in 2,632 straight games. For all you math whizzes that's over 16 seasons without a single "My leg hurts so I'll sit today, or so and so is pitching and I don't want to face him, or I think I'll rest up and come back strong for next game." None of that. Just a nose to the grindstone attitude and a willingness to show up and do his job everyday.

The second record I like is Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak. To get a hit in 56 straight games is incredible and extremely difficult to pull off. If a guy today gets over 25 it's impressive. I do believe this record is attainable, all you have to do is make sure that for 34% of the season you don't have an off game. Simple enough right ? Riiiiiight.

Now that the home run chase is over with baseball can concentrate on the playoff races that are heating up. ALL BEWARE: The Yankees Are Coming. I know I know, I don't like it either but since the all star break they have been the best team in baseball. You can't keep a 200 million dollar payroll down for an entire season. So for all Detroit, Boston, and Cleveland fans......watch out...things are going to get interesting.

Well that's enough baseball talk for one blog. Have a good rest of the week.

2 comments:

Mrs. Patterson said...

It's a relief that it's over, but it's not really over is it? Cal Ripken's record seems unattainable to me.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this blog. I now feel somewhat more intelligent.