Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Odds and Ends

First off.....Kudos to you Mr. Carlos Guillen on being the first Tiger to hit for the cycle since 2001 and also the first Tiger to hit for the cycle on the road since George Kell did it back in the 50's.

Since I am now living in Huron, Ohio I do not get every Tiger's game. This is upsetting. I only get them when they play on the WB or some nationally broadcast station or when they play the Indians. Of course, when they make the playoffs they will be on Fox, so no worries. (This also means I will have limited access to Pistons games when b-ball season rolls around.)

Lately like most places in the midwest it has been incredibly hot. I do not have the luxury of working in the air conditioning during the day but I do have a fan about a foot away from my head for almost the entire day. I also have been drinking a lot of water because A.) It's cold B.)It's good for you and C.) It's free. So all in all it's not that bad. I get to come home to a nice air conditioned apartment so at least I have something to look forward to after work.

This past monday night I found out I had another talent that will do me absolutely no good. I was at the Medina county fair and they were putting on these lumberjack shows and people were guessing how long it would take a man to chop through this piece of wood with his hatchet and then again with a saw. Well for the hatchet I guessed 17 seconds. So the man starts chopping away......1....2.....3..........10...........15....17 seconds! Woohoo ! I was right. Ok, so I'm thinking lucky guess. But then they had him try and saw through a log with a long saw. So I guessed 29 seconds right away.....but then before he started he started making cuts in the piece of wood. He cut a nice groove in it so it would be much easier to start sawing after they started the watch. So then I turned to my friend Laura who was with me and said 20 seconds.....and he kept cutting without the time starting so after he was done "prepping" this log I settled on 14 seconds. So he starts sawing......1......2......3.....5......10....14 seconds! Right again. I impress myself sometimes. With no prior log cutting experience other than watching Dad's log splitter cut up pieces of wood and that one time I used a hatchet to chop and miss a tree by our old driveway (still have the scar on my leg) I was able to guess both these times to the second. If I would have voiced that I had guessed those times I would have won a "chip" off the old block (chunk of wood) and a "lumberjack cookie" (round piece of wood). So if you need to know how long it will take someone to chop or saw through a piece of wood I guess I can make a pretty accurate guess. Sounds like a useless talent to me. (I'll throw this one in there with being able to curl my tongue in 3 loops and making a bird noise.)

In other news, it is only 8 days until I leave for Boston. I can't wait. It is going to be an amazing trip. I know there is a lot of stuff to do in Boston but I could just sit in Fenway Park for a few days and be satisfied with my trip. I can't wait to have a dog and a beer and enjoy a game in which my two favorite teams are playing.

Well that's all for now. I hope everyone is having a great week! Bye !

1 comment:

Mrs. Patterson said...

This is a highly informative post. That was the first I had heard about Guillen and Kell. As fascinating as the wood chopping/sawing talent is, I had no idea about the looped tongue and which sort of bird noise talent.